UIWebView deprecation

Welcome! Forums Unity Plugins In-App Web Browser UIWebView deprecation

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    tpitman
    Participant

I did regen the xcode project. I will try the sample scene.

tpitman
    Participant

Finally got a chance to try this. When I build and run the example scene with the old UIWebView source it works fine.

I then followed your instructions to remove the source files from the iOS folder and drop the .a file in that folder and it doesn’t work.

I get this output in the debug window of xcode:

InAppBrowserBridge:OnBrowserStartedLoading(String)

(Filename: ./Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 48)

2019-09-26 16:04:48.806513-0600 espresso[13808:5005423] [ProcessSuspension]  0x281ef8fc0 - ProcessAssertion() Unable to acquire assertion for process with PID 0
    2019-09-26 16:04:49.327990-0600 espresso[13808:5005524] [ProcessSuspension]  0x281efabc0 - ProcessAssertion() Unable to acquire assertion for process with PID 0
    tpitman
    Participant

It doesn’t crash like my scene does, but it doesn’t work either.

PiotrPiotr
    Keymaster

Could you create sample project and upload it somewhere so I can check it out?
    I tried it on my end and I don’t see any issues with browser opening. Also it worked for other testers, so it would be helpful for me to check your source code.

tpitman
    Participant

By the way I am using Unity 2019.2.3f1 if that matters.

I created a new project and imported the latest from the Unity Asset store. I then deleted the files in the iOS folder and put the 206.a file there.

I built it for ios and ran it. It runs fine without crashing and shows the web page. When I hit the button to ping unity it gives errors, but they are probably because I didn’t change any of the default code.

Since this works I will try to figure out what is different.

One thing: your example waits for the user to press a button before loading the web component and showing the web page. I do it on startup because my whole app is web based. Could that have something to do with the issues? Do I have to wait for something to initialize first? Can you do some testing on that?

tpitman
    Participant

I was able to open the test scene in my app. I reimported everything into my project and deleted my ios output folder before building.

Now the issue I have with the example scene is that I get this error:

2019-09-27 07:30:20.940812-0600 espresso[14485:5127650] -canOpenURL: failed for URL: “inappbrowserbridge://ping” – error: “This app is not allowed to query for scheme inappbrowserbridge”

Seems like a permissions thing??? Do you have a new test site page for your new component?

tpitman
    Participant

The crash must have been coming from something left over in the ios project. Even though I did a clean build before it seems that I needed to completely delete the ios output folder.

Now I am getting my web page and not crashing.

tpitman
    Participant

Everything seems to be working fine now. Thank you for the quick turn around.

What are your plans for releasing this as an official update?

tpitman
    Participant

I just uploaded my app for test flight testing with the new .a file after removing the other files in the plugin.

I still got the warning about using the UIWebView api. Can you explain? Are you able to upload an app and not get that warning?

Fronne
    Participant

Great to hear you switched to WKWebView, so all I have to do is to replace the five plugin files to remove the ITMS-90809 message? I almost removed In App Browser but I’m glad to see I can still use it. I advise to update IAB ASAP to show your users IAB is Up to Date again…

tpitman
    Participant

I have tried the new beta version and it still gave me the warning when I uploaded the app to the Apple store for internal testing.

PiotrPiotr
    Keymaster

I don’t think this warning comes from plugin source code as there is no single instance of UIWebView usage.
    It might came either from some other plugin you are using or Unity itself.

PiotrPiotr
    Keymaster

Will release 2.0 version later today. Thanks all for testing it out!

Fronne
    Participant

Use grep or grepWin (Windows) to see all UIWebView references, you find them all in a few seconds…

tpitman
    Participant

I wanted to verify where the UIWebView reference might be coming from, so I created a brand new project in 2019.2.6f. I made it a simple 2D project without any extra packages.

I then imported just your plugin.
    Deleted the source files.
    Added the .a file (206)
    Opened your example scene.
    Made that scene the default in project settings.
    Switched the target to iOS.
    Added a bundle ID from my Apple account.
    Did a build to make sure it runs on my iPhone.
    Archived the package for the Apple store.
    Uploaded the archive to the Apple store.

I got the same warning that my app contains UIWebView and it is deprecated.

I am not sure what to tell you. I didn’t add anything else. Only your package.

Can you please confirm that you can create an empty project with your plugin in it and it won’t get this warning when you upload it to your account before you release it?

UPDATE: I just did the grep thing and found UIWebView in the libiPhone-lib.a file. Do you include this file or is this something that is default in Unity? I am reading posts, but not sure yet. If Unity then carry on, but maybe you will want to include in the release notes that you have done all you can, but we will still get the warning until Unity fixes it.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by tpitman.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.